Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Homemade Whipped Body Butter

I know...another post about homemade lotion. How many times am I going to talk about moisturizing? 

Well, probably not much more, but I had to post this whipped body butter. My lovely lotion bars are PERFECT for extremely dry skin because the wax helps to seal the moisture in, but they aren't always the easiest to apply to your whole body. So...in comes the body butter. This includes most of the same ingredients, but omits the wax, so it's easy to apply. Since most of your body isn't EXTREMELY dry, the moisture is enough without the beeswax seal. 

Of course, I couldn't follow the recipe I found online, to a T. When they proudly proclaimed it was only three ingredients (yes, I know, this makes it simple to make and means you are putting less on your skin, but...), I asked, what could I add to make it even better? The one thing that I felt it needed was vitamin E oil to help heal scars and cuts, so I made the 3-ingredient whipped body butter into 4-ingredient whipped body butter.

Whipped Body Butter

8 oz of cocoa butter (or shea butter if you prefer)
8 oz coconut oil
4 oz sesame oil or other liquid oil*
1/2 oz vitamin E oil

First, measure out all of the ingredients using a kitchen scale, and melt everything together in a double boiler.






Next, chill the mixture in the fridge until it begins to firm, but it has not yet turned completely solid. For me, this took about 3 1/2 hours.


Then, using a stand or hand mixer, whip the lotion until white peaks form, scrapping the bowl often. 


Finally, scoop the lotion into containers and chill in the fridge for one hour.

Your lessons from me: 1) whip it, whip it good!, and 2) don't forget and over chill your finished whipped lotion. I didn't whip my lotion quite long enough. My peaks were still a little beige, but it seemed fluffy like a yummy whipped frosting (and it smells like chocolate frosting too!). But I don't think there was enough air incorporated into the mixture. Then, I forgot the finished product in the fridge for about three more hours, giving the under aired mixture time to solidify more than it should have. It still glides on, but isn't as easy to scoop out of the container. Granted, I could scoop it back into the mixer, but I'm being lazy and just using it as is. Next time, I'll make sure to whip it longer and set a timer to take it out of the fridge.

This whipped body butter is so silky and smooth and soaks into your skin quickly (just don't use too much or it might take awhile to soak in). It's amazing and keeps your skin feeling nourished, even during a nasty cold winter! 


* Jojoba, almond or a mild olive would work great too. I chose sesame oil because Ayurvedic medicine uses sesame oil to help strengthen joints and alleviate joint pain. While I'm not sure if I truly believe this, I figure it doesn't hurt to see if it helps and I prefer to apply it as a lotion rather than as a massage oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment