Search This Blog

Monday, January 6, 2014

Homemade Daily Shower Spray

I ran out of my homemade daily shower spray today, so I thought I'd post how to make it. I've been using the same recipe for years now. I found it on some website, but I have no idea where I found it. My apologizes for not giving credit where credit is due, but I really don't recall where this came from. 

This very environmentally homemade shower spray really keeps the nastiness at bay! When I started using it, I was living in a home with extremely hard well water. The shower doors...you know the clear plastic doors with the water pattern to blur your silhouette...they were eternally white. I tried everything to get them transparent again. Finally, I found the only thing that worked was Lime Away Gel....I know...one of the worst toxic cleaners out there, but it WORKED! So I'd use it, but after a couple days, the doors were white again. That's how hard the water was. Then I found the homemade daily shower spray. After cleaning the doors with Lime Away, I was able to keep them clear for WEEKS using the daily shower spray once a day with two people using the shower.

My water isn't quite as hard these days and I have a shower curtain rather than doors now, but I still have hard water spots if I don't use this shower spray. It not only helps with hard water, but keeps mold and mildew away. I can't say enough good things about it.

So without further delay....

Homemade Daily Shower Spray

1/2 c rubbing alcohol
1/2 c hydrogen peroxide
1/2 c white vinegar (the original recipe called for a splash, but I use more due to the hard water)
water to fill bottle
about 1 tsp blue Dawn dish washing liquid
old Windex spray bottle (or other similarly sized spray bottle)

Measure out the rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide and use a funnel to pour it into your bottle.



Measure the vinegar and add to the bottle.



Now fill the bottle with water, leaving about 1/2 an inch below the neck. Add a splash of Dawn.



Put the spray top back on the bottle and gently turn the bottle upside down a few times to mix in the Dawn without creating a bunch of bubbles.


Keep in your shower and spray on the curtain/doors, walls, and tub. Walk away! You're done!

Hope this helps keep your shower fresh without all the chemicals, and keep you from cleaning as often!

1 comment: