Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Homemade Laundry Softener

So the other day, when I made my daily shower cleaner, I flubbed up and actually started making my homemade laundry softener by accident. Fortunately, I was getting low, so it's no big deal, but I wonder how I can be so lame-brained sometimes.

Since I made an oops, I thought I'd share my homemade laundry softener with you. I've been using it for years and love it. It leaves clothes so soft and has no chemicals to leave behind on your clothes. I started using this because the towels would get this nasty stank, even after being washed. Since using this softener, I've never had stinky towels again!!!

I've chosen to leave all fragrances out of the softener because when I used essential oils to begin with, I felt that I was wasting my money as the scent just didn't last. After a day, the scent was gone. I found that using essential oils on my homemade wool dryer balls made the scent last much longer, so I just do that instead. 

BTW - I wouldn't suggest making your own wool dryer balls. You'll spend about the same and save yourself a lot of time if you just buy some on Etsy. BUT I do highly recommend wool dryer balls. Again, no chemicals, no waxy build up on your dryer vent, and they help your clothes dry faster (though you need 6-8 in a load to really affect drying time). 

So, back to the laundry softener...

Homemade Laundry Softener
8 cups water
1 cup baking soda
6 cups white vinegar
10-15 drops essential oil of your choice (optional)

First, measure out 1 cup of baking soda and place in a VERY large mixing bowl.



Next, measure out 8 cups of water and mix with the baking soda. 

Then, slowly add the 6 cups of white vinegar.



I've found that stirring while slowly adding the vinegar about a cup at a time works best to dissolve the baking soda and not have everything bubble out of the bowl. 


When all of the baking soda is dissolved and the mixture has stopped fizzing, use a funnel to pour it into a gallon container. 



I fill a downy ball with the mixture (about 1/2 cup - I do fill it above the line) as it tends to drain out of my softener cup while I'm filling it, but if it works in your softener cup, GREAT!

Enjoy soft, non-stinky, chemical free clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment